Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Bismuth - Unavailing (2015)


I'm still running around the virtual astral planes of the internet like a fucking asshole, chasing down releases from 2015 that weren't caught in my field of vision during my tenure as a certified specter of the current music world. I was either too busy reading rather than writing or too busy amassing old punk and rock albums rather than peeking my head into the sewers of underground metal. It was pure fucking tunnel vision man, and this place was Armageddon.



With that being said, here's another release from Dry Cough Records that flew under my radar, or sonar, or bonar… boner. Bismuth is incredibly dense sludge and doom with tinges of hardcore and bouts of hypnotic drone. Within these four bulky tracks songs sink and swell between moments of gnashing doom - the type of doom with its roots fertilized in a sludgy soil, rife with fuzz and drenched in reverb, gain and undiluted ire - smothered in the will to go patiently slow and devastatingly heavy, which leaves me waiting for the froth and foam to finally brim over into the megaton swell of constant energy, a wall of sound that pummels and submits my ear-drums to its ferocity… This does happen, albeit only partially on the last track, leaving the listener to his or her thoughts rather abruptly. This isn't a shortfall however, slow like the sloth and powerful and heavy like the hippo, we have enough bands out there doing the rest.

Follow up on Dry Cough Records here.
Follow up on Bismuth's Bandcamp here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know you're here…